Banner

Banner

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Reinventing the wheel...

I saw this on the Tube the other day and had to post it...



I'm not sure these guys were out to improve the tried and tested upright design of the traditional bicycle, or whether they were trying to create a masturbation aid! I can't think of any situation where this would actually work! Maybe I shouldn't be too harsh - maybe the guy is just a little eccentric. Although, he and his contraption remind me a lot of Mr Garrison and his 'IT' machine from South Park. They look similar, and both machines could be worked seamlessly into an exhibition at Amsterdam's famous sex museum.


On the topic of reinventing the wheel - I have never understood recumbents, I don't understand how they are an improvement on the standard bicycle, which has existed in its current form for over one hundred years with little change to the core design. I've never seen a recumbent overtake anyone, so it's not a speed thing, and I cant imagine a recumbent having any comfort advantages... I guess I just don't get it.


I'm not going to be too critical on the Contraption Captains, as the infamous Bike Snob NYC refers to them as. I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm sure they must have their benefits; I just read a great article about an old fella who has been using his recumbent tricycle to beat Motor Neurone disease, which is awesome! I'm an advocate of all types of cycling, even if some are a little... unconventional.

No comments:

Post a Comment