Banner

Banner

Thursday 26 April 2012

Overtaking


More often than not I find that other cyclists pose more of a threat than cars, motorbikes, trucks, trams and buses on the road! It’s a big call, I know, but when your daily commute includes the Main Yarra Trail, and when you are riding against the majority of the traffic, it is a reality.

It’s all got to do with overtaking. It seems the majority of cyclists out there don’t know how or when to overtake.

In the morning I ride away from the city, and in the evening I ride toward the city, consequently, I am riding into a constant stream of stressed, rabid city workers that are trying to get to work on time in the morning and in the evening they are racing home as fast as possible to get home to catch Charlie on the 7pm Project. On many occasions I’ve almost been cleaned up by some muppett overtaking a slower rider on blind corner. Seriously, my commute is basically a series of near miss head-on collisions!

So please people, pick your overtaking times well, wait for a long stretch of trail where you have ample room and time, and then overtake - just as you would when driving your car. 

Check out the Bicycle Network Victoria website for all the rules, laws and guidelines on safe cycling.

Another problem I see all too often is cyclists overtaking others when waiting at the lights. You know the scenario – you are waiting at the lights and some plonker rides up on his rusty 1980’s Schwinn and heads straight to the front, passing all the other waiting cyclists; the lights turn green and everyone is stuck behind this bloke, waiting for a safe opportunity to pass.

check out the drawing skills... awesome.
Not only is it rude, but it’s unsafe, it forces everyone else further out on the road to overtake. 

Riding up to the front of an intersection at a red light would be fine, if you are a fast, club cyclist, with a lot of experience, and you know that you wont be holding up anyone. If you’re not – just hang back and exercise some patience!

Tell me about your top commuting gripes in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I hate the plonker thing you mention. Bike Snob NYC calls that "shoaling" which seems apt. Then there is "salmoning" the people who ride up the bike lane in the wrong direction. I get bothered when I stop at a 4-way stop sign and a lazy bicyclist blows past me.

    I fear cars and trucks. Mean bicyclists just kindof frustrate and annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chafed, 'Salmoning' - I like it. Definitely sounds like something the Snob would coin! Good to know I'm not the only one frustrated by these things....

    ReplyDelete